Casey Kaplan, New York seeks a full-time Associate Director/Artist Liaison.
The Associate Director/Artist Liaison is a leadership position that requires a high level of autonomy, proactivity and professionalism. The ideal candidate will have at least 4 years of gallery experience and be able to work both independently and as part of a team with equal efficacy.
• A minimum of 4 years of experience in a commercial gallery. B.A. or master’s degree in art history, criticism, or theory preferred.
• A comprehensive understanding of the daily inner workings of a commercial art gallery and an in-depth knowledge of the contemporary art market.
• Prior experience working directly with artists is required. Candidate should be familiar with the unique and varying needs of both emerging and established artists and demonstrate an ability to manage multiple artist projects simultaneously, from start to finish.
• Candidate should have some direct sales experience. Proven sales records and art fair experience is preferred.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to correspond with collectors, curators and artists in a professional and effective manner.
• Communication amongst staff is crucial in this role. The Associate Director/Artist Liaison reports to the gallery owner and directors regarding all aspects of artist oversight, sales strategies, upcoming exhibitions, and any other pertinent information.
• Experience with platforms such as Art Binder, FileMaker Pro, WordPress and Adobe Creative Suite.
• Demonstrate excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• Primary liaison for a number of the gallery’s artists. Oversee all artist projects from start to finish, including, but not limited to: exhibitions (commercial and institutional), book production, commissions, museum initiatives, securing inventory, grant and residency applications, Casey Kaplan online platform presentations, and tracking the artist’s schedule. Keeping the gallery staff updated on all such activities is crucial.
• Field incoming queries pertaining to gallery artists, including exhibition, press and donation requests.
• Cultivate new client relationships and nurture existing clientele. Associate Director should be able to close sales independently and strategize offers in collaboration with the sales team.
• Attend domestic and international art fairs, as both a sales representative and in a supportive capacity.
• Speak confidently and eloquently about artists’ processes and works. Strong written and verbal skills a must.
• Represent the gallery at openings, book launches, dinners, artist talks and other related events.
• Facilitate museum exhibitions and other external shows. Monitor exhibition budgets, loans and consignments (oversee registrar) and liaise with museum curators and exhibition lenders.
• Oversee the Gallery Assistant/Archivist and Assistant to the Directors in making sure the website is continually updated.
Finally, the successful candidate will be able to work closely and harmoniously with all levels of employees; from technical staff and registrars to directors and gallery owner. As a small team, flexibility, cooperation and a positive attitude are crucial in helping to ensure the smooth functioning of the gallery program.
Log in to Art Frankly to learn more about this position and how to apply.