UrbanGlass is seeking a Deputy Director. Founded in 1977, UrbanGlass was the first artist-access glass center in the United States and is now the largest with 17,000 square feet of state-of-the-art studio space. Our mission is to foster experimentation and advance the use and critical understanding of glass as a creative medium. Our glass studios and art center serve over 15,000 professional artists, designers and students annually seeking to learn about the possibilities of glass.
As a member of UrbanGlass’ Leadership Team, the Deputy Director is critical in overall strategic planning, operational oversight, and management of the physical plant. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director is a new full-time onsite position.
Operational Strategy & Oversight:
● Partner with the Executive Director to set direction, vision, and operational strategy for UrbanGlass.
● Foster and support our commitment to becoming a more diverse, inclusive, accessible, and anti-racist organization.
● Provide staff with a strong day-to-day leadership presence; develop strengths in others and model effective data-driven decision making.
● Manage capital cost budget for company and co-manage building capital budget with co-tenant.
● Act as an open door by listening to team members and artists and collaborating with appropriate leaders to take action as needed.
● Ensure efficient systems for internal and remote work utilizing technology for effective team management.
● Oversee talent recruitment and onboarding process.
● Manage three (3) direct reports, and co-manage the Studio Technician team.
● Oversee and project-manage the maintenance of the organization’s facility, including glass studios, a gallery, a retail store, and offices.
● Manage the functioning of all building systems, in partnership with co-tenant, including mechanical, electrical, fire safety, plumbing, etc.
● Contribute to strategic planning by evaluating and projecting future facility needs and proposing options to achieve them.
● Ensure compliance with regulations and laws (DOB, FDNY, NYDEC, etc.).
● Direct and schedule external contractors (electricians, plumbers, painters, etc.).
● Provide guidance as needed to other departments to ensure the smooth execution of events planned and executed by those departments.
● Manage event rentals of the gallery, classroom, and studio.
● Manage safety, emergency, and COVID-response preparedness.
● Develop & implement new earned income opportunities with facility-dependent departments.
Please login to Art Frankly to learn more about this position and how to apply.