The Peters Valley School of Craft is seeking a Studio Manager Metals and Wood. One full-time year round position is available with a start date of March 2020. Peters Valley School of Craft is seeking one person to manage the blacksmithing, fine metals and woodworking studios. This is a year-round, $20k salaried position with a health benefit contribution of $3,600 per year. The position also includes on-campus housing in a single family dwelling.
The Studio Manager will be responsible for management, maintenance, and all safety procedures for three studio areas (Blacksmithing, Fine Metals & Woodworking) as well as the overall instructor and student experience. They will also manage studio assistants for the successful production of the educational programs. Candidates must possess strengths in the following areas: organization, communication, working knowledge of machinery and tools used in specific studio areas, knowledge of the nature of the craft and safety protocols, customer service and people skills. We are looking for a candidate who works well independently and collaboratively who is willing to make a minimum three year commitment, which can be extended given their success in meeting the expectations of the position. Peters Valley School of Craft will train for and evaluate job performance yearly so that expectations are clear. The Studio Manager will be on call and will be required to work on weekends and evenings. This position is for employment, not an artist residency as it provides a salary, contribution to benefits and housing as compensation for work. The use of studios is strictly when not at work and when the studios are not in use. When the studios are operating only on weekends the Studio Manager will be expected to maintain and repair studio equipment and work with the facilities crew to make improvements to the studios and campus. Candidates must have a valid driver’s license and personal vehicle.
• Detailed knowledge and expertise in maintaining fully-equipped studios and all associated equipment and tools
• Knowledge of fine craft materials – uses and descriptions
• College degree with concentration in the arts or equivalent and demonstrated experience
• Experience in electrical and mechanical repair as related to studio equipment
• 2-5 years experience as a dedicated studio technician at an arts education institution
• Strong communication and organizational skills
• Must have a valid driver’s license and personal vehicle
• We are looking for charismatic and responsible candidates who have great customer service skills.
The deadline to apply is February 10, 2020 or until the position is filled.